Monday, September 8, 2008

Leaving Home

Tuesday the 2nd I said goodbye to family and friends and headed to Portland to catch my 11:59 PM flight to New York City. After a tearful goodbye to my mom I boarded the plane and began my journey. The sleep was pretty awful, but 5 hours passed by with surprising speed. I found out that about 4 other AFS students from Oregon had flown on the same flight, so we all headed together in sleepy, excited confusion to the baggage claim and on to our meeting point. To my surprise a large group of students with the volunteers were there waiting. I had never imagined that there would be so many high school kids ready to give up everything familiar for a year, it was an incredibly comforting feeling. 
After arriving at our hotel, the double tree, we were herded into the ballroom and checked in. After the confusion of hotel keys and hauling our baggage up to our rooms we all realized that between time changes ,and the skipped breakfasts, and all the activities we were ravenous. Pizza came shortly after but only left time for a power nap before the orientation began. It is a little blurry now, as there has been so much after the orientation that has happened. I do remember that we were split into country specific groups: Italy, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Ghana, and South Africa(listed from most to least popular.) We had 'getting to know you' activities, cultural speakers, and a very funny and dated film on gestures. 
The next morning we only had short group time, mostly covering last minute details. Following group time we crowded around a small TV to watch a funny, but frightening Kiwi film about 4 New Zealanders going on exchange done documentary style. It was funny because of the language and the humor... the scary part was the section in the movie in which every one of them seemed unhappy, lonely and distraught, this was to show us it will get tough. All but one made it through and there was a happy ending. 
At 2:30 the Italy group left for the airport. There wasn't any trouble and it was pretty easy. Our plane left at 6PM and during our 8 hour flight to Zurich, Switzerland I hardly slept at all. We had about a 4 hour layover there then boarded our flight to Rome. I was asleep before takeoff and didn't wake until our descent. Flying over Italy was a patchwork of green and brown, many hills and little valleys. We all got our luggage(yay!) and slowly passed through customs with no problems, and yes I do have a sporty little Italian stamp in my passport now. 
We were loaded by country (there were Germans who arrived at the same time) onto buses and taken to a little town about and hour outside of 'Roma'. I tried to pay attention to the scenery but was soon overcome by the desperate need to sleep. 
Italy is hot right now. Very hot. So we got off the bus that had been blasting the AC and stepped into the hot Roman air. We were used to the next routine: baggage claim, check in, check in baggage, get our hotel room. We were thrilled to be informed by the incredibly brilliant Italian Intercultura volunteers that it was to be a day for rest. So we showered, we hung out, we mingled with students from around the globe, and we ate a much needed meal. I like to note that the camp food is MUCH MUCH better in Italy than New York, duh. 
After, I slept, but not well. Seriously. Get together about 200 students from around the world and see how much sleep happens. People were jet-lagged in various degrees, so some required little sleep, and believe you me I knew it. The two nights at the camp brought little sleep. I was constantly kept from sleep with the sounds of the Chileans yelling "Chilenos, Chilenos, Te amo, Chilenos," the Germans "making party", a group of Asian students screaming on the stairs like it was a fun house, and of course us amazed Americans trying to fit as many people as possible onto the balcony overlooking it all (every country seemed to have their own contribution.) 
  On the second day we had lessons, Q&A, etiquette, safety, rules. This all took place in a school that was decorated with statues, pictures, and a very lovely front garden. It was helpful, but all the talk about starting school made me very nervous. I guess Italians have some serious homework...
The third day I awoke at 6:00 am to load the bus for Tuscan bound students. There is not much to tell. The bus station of course was a bit chaotic, and I got my first view Roma, and was harassed by a crazy man in the station who kept yelling to us "do you love Roma?", it was quite funny. 
The train ride was like a count down to the apocalypse. I was so scared to meet my family. What if they don't like me? What if they are mad at me for not knowing much Italian? What if we clash? I had to take many deep breaths. It was kinda like the walls were closing in, and I was getting claustrophobic and crushed by the pressure. As we got off the bus a fellow AFSer from the states found her family right away and promptly yelled "MAMA!" in the typical way Italians are portrayed in American cinema. I was so nervous as I approached a group with balloons and signs. I quickly found my balloon, and snuck around the crowd to find my family. They smiled and gave me hugs and I followed them to their car in the parking garage. 
The ride home was nice, and I got my first experience in the crazy streets of Italy. I'm now at my Italian home. I will post pictures later, but for now I'm happy comfortable and I enjoy the company of my Italian family. 

1 comment:

Nina Fairfield said...

Austin,
I hope you are enjoying yourself in beautiful Italy and eating amazing cuisine. I am sure your host family adores you. How did they like Starbucks coffee? Have you see the Pontevechio yet? Stores and stores filled with gold. Just wanted to say a quick hello. I have Tristan in class. he much to say. He is fun to have in class. Hope to visit with you soon.
Mrs. Fairfield