Tuesday, September 23, 2008

AFS reunion


On Saturday I was able to go to a reunion with some of my fellow AFS students who are living in the same region as I am. The soiree took place right out side of Colle Val D'Elsa (pictured right, unfortunately not my photography, I forgot my camera.) Although I've enjoyed living in Florence, it was a lovely escape to be in the quieter countryside for the evening. The photo is a very good representation of what it was like to drive by. I hope to visit the city, as it is filled with old, castle-like buildings. I suppose I still haven't grown out of the castle faze... I still daydream of living in a castle with passages, and maybe a wizard. hmmm. 
We arrived at the beautiful house of one of the AFS Intercultura volunteers, Claudio. I was greeted by a familiar voice yelling "CIAO! CIAO, BELLA!" I immediately recognized the voice as Bridget's, the other American living in the same Tuscan region. All seven of us showed up: Bridget from the States, Magali from Belgium, Lea from Greenland, Ruyam from Turkey, (all of the previous are female) and David from Honduras, and Franciszeck from Poland. 
It was so much fun getting to see some of the people from orientation camp, and it was a relief to know that they are all in the same boat as I am. Comparing stories, cultural jokes and phrases, and the differences in culture (food, fashion, transportation, severe unpunctuality, lack of space, ect.) that we have experienced was the best therapy for any homesickness I may have had. It put everything in perspective: these are some of the most interesting experiences of my life, and we all know that those make the best stories. Throughout the night my ears rung the favorite and classic phrase of Italian mamas throughout the country: "Mangia!"  (it means "eat", Italians are big on feeding you... a lot. )
It was so nice to spend the evening with such lively company in the fresh country air. The drive back was as lovely as the drive up. I got to see the stars for the first time in a while. I guess that is something I take for granted in Newport, the stars. On the ride home I spent most of the time looking out the window at the big dipper, and it looks the same in Newport, and that was very comforting. 
By the way, my host mom says "dis bonjour a tout le monde" which basically means "say hi to everyone" (that's French) So hi from Ruth, and hi from me. 

No comments: