Thursday, September 25, 2008

Busses

It is nice to have a very active bus system in Florence. I do a ton of walking, but it saves me about 40 minutes a day on the way to school. The system is very efficient and buses arrive often. I usually have very little problem in the morning with overcrowding, but the afternoon is a whole other story. Everyone and their mom is on the bus in the afternoon. I usually go home after school to eat lunch, and some days, like today, I go back to the center for school supplies, photos, or just general perusing of the city's downtown. Today was the most packed in I've ever been on a bus. I stood there for 20 minutes of pure hell. We were crammed in like sardines, and of course I had the crazy pushy lady next to me. Even though I couldn't move she kept pushing me, her comfort took priority of common courtesy. And then there was her husband, who while trying to find a seat for his wife reached behind himself and, I hope it was an accident, ended up groping me. To this I slapped his hand away and said "Basta", which means "enough." (next time I've been instructed to say something else a little more forceful)
All in all the bus system is pretty great. I guess you just have to know your Italian slang, and have a good arm to keep the creepers away. 

No comments: